Все для тех, кому нужен английский язык!

Развлечения и отдых

Общение | Конкурсы | Афиша | Коллекции | Копилка

Форум | Ищу репетитора | Разговорные клубы

29 Март 2024, 01:06

Добро пожаловать, Гость.

Пожалуйста, войдите или зарегистрируйтесь чтобы оставить сообщение.
Начало Помощь Поиск Правила форума Войти Регистрация
forum.englishteacher.ru  |  Английский язык  |  Speak English (Модератор: A.K.L.)  |  What makes a book good? « предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Страниц: [1] Ответ Печать
Автор Тема: What makes a book good?  (Прочитано 9139 раз)
TessTS
Privileged user
пользователь

« : 28 Май 2018, 13:16 » Процитировать

What do you appreciate most in a book: the style, the plot, memorable characters, something else?
https://vk.com/easyconversation 
« Последнее редактирование: 29 Декабрь 2018, 17:29 от TessTS » Записан
Milanya
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #1 : 29 Май 2018, 02:08 » Процитировать

What do you appreciate most in a book: the style, the plot, memorable characters, something else?
If I begin reading a book and want to keep reading it, I consider it good.
If I begin reading a book and do not want to keep reading it, ....

You get the picture.
I do not subscribe to the theory that if you begin reading a book you have to finish it or die trying.
There are so many good books in the world that I have not read yet that there is no point in wasting my time on reading something I do not enjoy.
TessTS
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #2 : 29 Май 2018, 15:04 » Процитировать

If I begin reading a book and want to keep reading it, I consider it good.
If I begin reading a book and do not want to keep reading it, ....

You get the picture.
I do not subscribe to the theory that if you begin reading a book you have to finish it or die trying.
There are so many good books in the world that I have not read yet that there is no point in wasting my time on reading something I do not enjoy.

Well, yes. But what are your preferences, genre wise and narration wise, favourite authors?
Milanya
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #3 : 29 Май 2018, 16:39 » Процитировать

But what are your preferences, genre wise and narration wise, favourite authors?
I like fairy tales (fantasy), historical fiction, biographies, science fiction, murder mysteries, etc. It is easier to tell, what I do not like: horror, romance novels.  Unfortunately for me, I am extremely picky, so I have to try a book first and then decide if I want to keep reading it. This rule goes even for the books by my favorite authors. I do not like ALL of their books and have to pick and choose.
I have more than 1500 books on my reader, and still have to download more in order for me to find a book to read.
Also, I like reading books in the language thay were written. If possible.
I do  not know many languages, but if I can I try not to read translations.
Your turn.
« Последнее редактирование: 29 Май 2018, 18:39 от Milanya » Записан
TessTS
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #4 : 29 Май 2018, 23:09 » Процитировать

I am extremely picky, so I have to try a book first and then decide if I want to keep reading it. This rule goes even for the books by my favorite authors. I do not like ALL of their books and have to pick and choose.
I am like that. Don’t read much fiction at present as it is hard for me to find a book I would really enjoy.

Being a published author myself, I am a 'connoisseur‘’ of style, so definitely need to like that to continue reading a book. Unfortunately, genuine wordsmiths who are able to reshape everyday words and thoughts into something unforgettable through simple literary craftsmanship are so rare these days, although I could give you a few names, like John Banville or Don DeLillo, for example. True masters of the language, I would certainly call them my favourites.
« Последнее редактирование: 29 Май 2018, 23:13 от TessTS » Записан
Milanya
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #5 : 29 Май 2018, 23:25 » Процитировать

John Banville or Don DeLillo
I have not even heard these names. What do they write about?
TessTS
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #6 : 29 Май 2018, 23:46 » Процитировать

Read them and you will know.  ad
Milanya
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #7 : 30 Май 2018, 04:31 » Процитировать

I will, eventually. I am in the middle of a book now (I am almost always in the middle of a book). When I am between books, I will give them a try.
TessTS
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #8 : 31 Май 2018, 00:23 » Процитировать

I will, eventually. I am in the middle of a book now (I am almost always in the middle of a book). When I am between books, I will give them a try.
Their writing is rather peculiar, often with no plot as such, and the language is quite complicated (although that, with your perfect command of English, shouldn’t present a problem).
Milanya
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #9 : 31 Май 2018, 16:42 » Процитировать

Their writing is rather peculiar, often with no plot as such, and the language is quite complicated (although that, with your perfect command of English, shouldn’t present a problem).
Complicated language, probably, will not present a problem (I love complicated language) but absence of a plot might be an unsurmountable obstacle.  I love good plots and whodunit books. I prefer actions to descriptions.
That said, I am an omnivorous reader and woudl try everything,
« Последнее редактирование: 01 Июнь 2018, 22:32 от Milanya » Записан
Страниц: [1] Ответ Печать 
« предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Перейти в:  
+ Быстрый ответ

Для прикрепления файлов нажмите на кнопку